Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Superfunk

Pink polka dotted funky Lukester

Today we woke up and noticed Luke had a mosquito bite on his face. And one on his arm. And another one on his arm... and on his leg... and a bunch on the other leg... Hmmm. I don't think that could be mosquito bites. Fleas? No... we'd all have some bites, and these bumps are much bigger than any flea bite I've ever had.

Is this a rash?

Well, let's just wait and see if it gets any worse.

Tick tock, a couple of hours pass by.

5o or so bumps later, we're calling the pediatrician's office. They say we'd better bring him in, let the doctor take a look at it. Oh, and by the way, can you use the side entrance please?

Um, there's a side entrance?

Yes, it's around the left side of the building, around the brick wall, up the stairs.

Uh, ok, sure...

My first thought is, "Oh, a side entrance, that's cool. Like for celebrities."

Then a half second later I realize they want me to take my baby through the side entrance. Of a pediatrician's office. As in they want me to avoid the regular waiting area, itself a veritable petri dish of childhood communicable diseases. Oh no, this can't be good... your kid has to have a special kind of funk to make you go through the side entrance. Yikes.

So we go, and by this time there must be 100 or more bumps all over his body. I'm praying it's not chicken pox... and I rack my brain for any stored away rash knowledge, to no avail... and what exactly is ringworm again? 'Cause I don't think it is really worms...

The doctor takes a look and says it is just hives. Just hives. I couldn't think of any new foods he'd had, or new detergent I'd used... (Although I neglected to tell her about the spider I think he may have chased down and eaten the other day. I hang my head in shame as I write this.) The doctor said it is probably a reaction to the antibiotics he just finished for the ear infection he had last week, not an uncommon occurrence, I learn.

Well, that's good right? No chicken pox. No ringworm. No contagious funk? Everything is fine, she says. Give him some antihistamines for a few days and it'll be ok.

He doesn't seem itchy at all, and the only people the bumps seem to have bothered are me and Louis. So the day turned out ok. Just an average, harmless, scare the hell out of your parents and turn our few remaining brown hairs to gray kind of day.

Happy Tuesday.

4 comments:

j.w.cohen said...

Oh my. I feel for you guys. There's nothing like a scare to get you moving...and thinking. Problem is, it's usually the thinking that makes the scare worse!

Anonymous said...

Ugh...so sorry to hear about that. I hope he's back to clear-skinned normalcy now!

ZParents said...

Hilarious! I mean, that sounds really frightening and all, but you are a HILARIOUS writer!

Vince said...

cool bumps. Glad you guys can test drive this type of stuff before Vince gets to it.